In the News
The Broward County Board of County Commissioners is seeking qualified candidates for Intern (Cyber Security) in the Cyber Security section of the Enterprise Technology Services Division (ETS).
This is a part-time, 19 hours per week, non benefit-eligible position.
This Job Announcement will remain open until a sufficient number of applications are received .
Performs support duties in an agency in order to gain knowledge, skills and professional experience.
Works under close to general supervision according to set procedures. Work is reviewed through observation of performance, frequent conferences and reports.
More Undergraduate and Graduate Student Opportunities
Doctor of Philosophy in Mathematics
The doctoral program is for students who have a strong desire to perform independent and original research in the mathematical sciences. To be accepted to the program, the applicant must have a strong record of work in mathematics.
A Bachelor's degree in Mathematics with at least 3.0 GPA (or equivalent), three letters of recommendation documenting the applicant's prior work in mathematics focusing on preparation and suitability for success in graduate-level mathematics courses, a quantitative general GRE (revised) score of at least 157, and approval of the departmental graduate committee. In addition, it is recommended to include scores of the GRE subject test mathematics as part of the application package.
Click here for detailed application steps:
Requirements to be Admitted to Candidacy
The student must complete the following courses.
- Introductory Analysis 1 and 2 (MAA 5228 and 5229)
- Introductory Abstract Algebra 1 and 2 (MAS 5311 and 5312)
- Linear Algebra (MAS 5145)
- Multivariable Analysis (MAA 5105).
Satisfy one of the following
- Pass two of the three exams (Algebra, Analysis, Probability & Statistics) within five semesters (not counting the summer terms) of admission to doctoral study. Then form a supervisory committee as outlined in Item 3.
- Complete the following steps within six semesters (not counting the summer terms) of admission to doctoral study.
- Earn a pass on one exam and a constructive attempt on a different exam within four semesters (not counting the summer terms) of admission to doctoral study.
- Select a prospective research advisor, and complete two courses at the 6000-level, selected by the prospective research advisor and approved by the departmental graduate committee. These courses will need to be passed with a combined GPA of at least 3.5. They will count towards Degree Requirement 1a below, but not 1b or 1c. The prospective research advisor may propose additional requirements.
- Receive a positive recommendation by the prospective research advisor and the graduate committee. Then form a supervisory committee as outlined in Item 3 with the prospective research advisor serving as research advisor.
- Form a supervisory committee of at least four members including the research advisor and at least two other members of the graduate faculty of the Department of Mathematical Sciences.
- Credits and course requirements.
- Earn a minimum of 80 credits
- Complete 6000-level or higher courses starting with at least four of the prefixes MAA, MAD, MAP, MAS, MHF, MTG, and STA.
- For at least two of the prefixes of part b, complete at least two 6000-level or higher courses.
- Successful completion of a preliminary examination covering specific areas of study and set by the student's supervisory committee.
- Presentation and oral defense of a dissertation.
- Completion of all University requirements, including at least 18 credits at FAU beyond the master's level.
* As with all degree programs, the authoritative source for the degree requirements is the University Catalog that was in effect for the academic year in which the student entered the University. The information on this page does not supersede the Catalog.
For information about the Ph.D., MS, and AMST programs contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof. Hongwei Long, Graduate Director
Department of Mathematical Sciences
Florida Atlantic University
777 Glades Road
Boca Raton, FL 33431