In the News
Learn more about the 2024's Underrepresented Students in Topology and Algebra Research Symposium will be hosted by University of Iowa, April 20-21!
Visit us at www.ustars.org to apply and for more information about current and past USTARS events.
The Office of Faculty Diversity and Retention at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, VA, is now accepting applications for the Excite the Dream Program that will take place in-person on January 24 through January 25, 2024.
The Broward County Board of County Commissioners is seeking qualified candidates for Intern (Cyber Security) in the Cyber Security section of the Enterprise Technology Services Division (ETS).
This is a part-time, 19 hours per week, non benefit-eligible position.
This Job Announcement will remain open until a sufficient number of applications are received .
More Undergraduate and Graduate Student Opportunities
Information for Current Students
(1) What is the timeline for M.S. and Ph.D. defenses at the Department of Mathematical Sciences?
- Beginning of the semester: Notification of supervisory committee and submission of application for degree in accordance with FAU deadlines.
- Four weeks prior to the defense: Submission of complete thesis draft to the members of the thesis committee.
- Two weeks prior to the defense: The proposed thesis is made available to the departmental graduate faculty in SE 234.
- Public defense of the thesis.
(2) What is the timeline for the MS Exam at the Department of Mathematical Sciences?
A student who wishes to take the MS Exam chooses a committee of three (3) graduate faculty members from the Department of Mathematical Sciences who agree on a topic to be presented. The MS Exam Form should be completed at least four (4) weeks before the presentation. The subsequent presentation should be attended by all three committee members. A student will have two attempts to pass the exam.
(3)How many graduate credits can be transferred to FAU?
Ph.D. students can transfer up to 36 graduate credits, and Master's students can transfer up to 6 credits. Transfer credit is subject to approval by the departmental graduate committee.
(4) Can I substitute different courses for those in a certain track of the Masters in Applied Math and Statistics program?
- YES. Appropriate substitutions can be made with pre-approval of the departmental graduate committee.
(5) I would like to take Advanced Research (AR), Directed Independent Studies (DIS) or Dissertation (DI) credits this semester. Are there any restrictions I should be aware of?
- YES. Dissertation credits can only be taken after admission to candidacy. With the exception of summer semesters, no AR/DIS/DI credits can be taken prior to the successful completion of both qualifying exams. Moreover, prior to the successful completion of the preliminary exam at most 3 AR/DIS/DI credits can be taken.
(6) For travel, while being supported by a Graduate Teaching Assistantship, an approved absence form is needed.
- Unless there are exceptional circumstances, Graduate Teaching Assistants are expected to be available on campus: Three business days before the beginning of classes and after the end of classes until the evaluation of pertinent final exams is complete.
(7) There are several internal FAU fellowships and awards available to graduate students.
- Several of these have been awarded to students in Mathematics over the last few years. See the following webpage for a complete list with deadlines: Graduate Fellowship and Awards.
(8) Graduate Student Seminar
Be sure to check with the Graduate College and consult the
Thesis and Dissertation Guidelines
when preparing your dissertation.
For information contact:
Dr. Hongwei Long, Graduate Director
Department of Mathematical Sciences
Florida Atlantic University
SE43, Room 226
777 Glades RD
Boca Raton, FL 33431