Dr. Yuan Wang
- Ph.D. in Mathematics, Rutgers University, New Bruswick, New Jersey, 1990
Mathematical Theory of Systems and Control
Nonlinear control systems
I enjoy working in mathematical theory of systems and control. Control theory concerns itself with changing the behavior of dynamical systems to meet performance objectives. In practice, control processes take place in computers and other hardware equipment. However, the rules that govern the control process are mathematical. Mathematics has historically played and will increasingly continue to play critical roles in the development of systems and control theory.
There are in general two primary components in control system designs: the first one is to design for a given system a control law to guide the system to a desired performance; and the second one is to analyze the performance of the system under the control law. My work focuses mainly in the second component. To be more specific, most of my work deals with stability analysis of nonlinear systems and systems affected by delays. This is an exciting area where engineering problems often lead to interesting mathematical problems.
- On Lyapunov-Krasovskii Characterizations of Input-to-Output Stability, Proc. of the 20th World Congress of the International Federation of Automatic Control, 2017, to appear, with Hasala Gallolu Kankanamalage and Yuandan Lin.
- Lyapunov description of robust stability for systems with delays, Proc. of the 55th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, pp.6416-6421, 2016, with Hasala Gallolu Kankanamalage.
- Input-to-state stability of switched systems with time delays, in Recent Results on Nonlinear Delay Control Systems, pp. 225--241, 2015, with Yuandan Lin and Zhong-Ping Jiang.
- Stability analysis via averaging for nonlinear systems with delays, Proc of the 53rd Conference on Decision and Control, pp.2334-2339, 2014, with Yang Yang.
- Nonlinear Small-Gain Theorems for Large-Scale Time-Delay Systems, Dynamics of Continuous, Discrete and Impulsive Systems, Series A: Mathematical Analysis, Vol.19, pp.27-63, 2012, with Shanaz Tiwari and Zhong-Ping Jiang.
- Associate Editor: IEEE Conference Editorial Board; European Series of Applied and Industrial Mathematics: Control, Optimization and the Calculus of Variations.
- Moderator of math.OC and cs.SY for arXiv.org.